Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Knitted luggage or luggage for knitting?

 

Over the years I've seen a lot of cool train cases on Etsy. Some are sold as is and some are decorated either with paint or images. There are even some neat "how-to" videos on You Tube. I've had several of these around my studio for awhile now. Some haven't survived their alterations and some are in too nice a condition to alter. I keep thinking that I'll actually use them for their intended purpose some day.
 
 
Anyway, the other day I found a craft magazine at a local thrift store. It was McCalls Needlework and Craft from Fall/Winter 1965-1966. I thought it would be fun to see what kinds of crafts and knitting were done around the time of my birth, so I snapped it up for 25 cents. Turns out, besides me, a lot has changed in the last 47 years of crafting. Turns out, a lot of crafting 47 years ago, was pretty ugly. I didn't find anything I really wanted to reproduce. However, this magazine also had a lot of knitting images and it came to me... decoupage those images on one of my old train cases to use as a knitting bag!


So, that is what I did!  I cut out all the images that appealed to me. A lot of the knitting images were pretty horrible too. I found an old ad for Lion Brand and even an old ad for a knitting shop in a resort town we have visited. I believe it's still there, but I wonder if it's in the same location. I may have to show them the ad some day.
 
 
I used Modge Podge to apply the images, first using it as glue and when they dried, using it as a sealer. I'm pretty happy with the results and have filled it with some inexpensive cotton yarn I use for knitted dishcloths.
 

1 comment:

aimee said...

Love it! You did a great job!