Monday, August 19, 2013



Earlier this year I posted about framing the logo from our old main sail.
Well, after that project, I still had a TON of material left including the logo from the other side of the sail. That logo was damaged when we tore our main sail, but still usable, just not in one piece.
This weekend I found a way to use a portion of that logo in yet another project. This one was for a new shoulder bag. I used a pattern that I've used before. The Runabout Bag from Lazy Girl Designs. I love this bag design. It's so quick and easy to make and is VERY customizable. This time I used some purchased nylon webbing for the handle and a "sport" zipper.


Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Knitted luggage or luggage for knitting?


Over the years I've seen a lot of cool train cases on Etsy. Some are sold as is and some are decorated either with paint or images. There are even some neat "how-to" videos on You Tube. I've had several of these around my studio for awhile now. Some haven't survived their alterations and some are in too nice a condition to alter. I keep thinking that I'll actually use them for their intended purpose some day.
Anyway, the other day I found a craft magazine at a local thrift store. It was McCalls Needlework and Craft from Fall/Winter 1965-1966. I thought it would be fun to see what kinds of crafts and knitting were done around the time of my birth, so I snapped it up for 25 cents. Turns out, besides me, a lot has changed in the last 47 years of crafting. Turns out, a lot of crafting 47 years ago, was pretty ugly. I didn't find anything I really wanted to reproduce. However, this magazine also had a lot of knitting images and it came to me... decoupage those images on one of my old train cases to use as a knitting bag!

So, that is what I did!  I cut out all the images that appealed to me. A lot of the knitting images were pretty horrible too. I found an old ad for Lion Brand and even an old ad for a knitting shop in a resort town we have visited. I believe it's still there, but I wonder if it's in the same location. I may have to show them the ad some day.
I used Modge Podge to apply the images, first using it as glue and when they dried, using it as a sealer. I'm pretty happy with the results and have filled it with some inexpensive cotton yarn I use for knitted dishcloths.